Haiku Poems Activity

The Task:

 A haiku is an unrhymed verse form of Japanese origin having three lines containing usually five, seven and five syllables respectively.
For this exercise all the work must be produced using InDesign in a document measuring 21cm by 21cm.

1) Emphasising one word using the italic type function.

I chose to emphasise the word 'jumps' because it is one of the most energetic words in the poem and would give the poem some emotion as the person reads the poem. Splash could have also done this.

2) Balance the positive & negative spaces among & between letterforms, words, lines & the edges of the page.

I chose to make the words silence again much smaller because I felt it showed the message of the poem as the previous lines have more drama and the last line goes back to being silent again. The first line could have been small as well but I think it works ok like this.

3) Visually express or reinforce the verbal message of the poem by varying your letter arrangements, size, style, weight or colour

I made the tracking between the letters of 'old' wider as it relates to the opinion that old things and people are slower. The word 'jumps' is again in italics but I have also arranged it to appear to be jumping over the word splash. The word 'splash' spans across the whole space in a very large font to create some drama to reflect the emotion of the word. 'silence again' is also in a smaller font for this version.

4) Experiment with any style, size, positioning, typefaces or colour options

I duplicated the word frog many times to arrange it into the shape of a frog and placed the other words to build up the scene of a frog jumping into the pond. I think it looks quite messy and the fonts don't really blend well together but I do like my idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment