Testing Mastheads

I tested out my mastheads against different types of images to truly see which could or couldn't work in the real situation.

Serif Masthead

This type works really well to use the space and stand out on top of or behind the image. The problem with having the type behind the cover model is that the '!" is hidden which is the most important part of the masthead because it is the area of the magazine identity I want to be most dominant. The plain colour allows it to be bold and legible but lets the image be eye catching which is most important after the magazine name is famous.
 Next I customised the type by colour and with a pattern to try what a more artistic approach could achieve as a masthead. I really like these results as they add a lot of energy and difference to the magazine.

 Sans Serif Masthead

The problem with this masthead is that it is so long and so to span across the width of the cover  it takes up almost a third of the cover which can be problematic when choosing my cover image. However, It was a really good piece of type to customise with some paint brush effects and filling the text with a texture.

To experiment further I tested different brush effects over the type, placement and finally a fur effect over the entire masthead. I really like this masthead as the basic type means that I can add detail without making the masthead to overwhelming and busy.

 Decorative Masthead

This masthead is very different to the other mastheads but I really like it as it clearly shows to the readers that it is a different magazine to most fashion magazines and that it is more creative and obscure. I think it could work really well as my masthead but maybe with a bit more customisation to make it my own.

To customise this masthead I used a fur brush to apply an effect to the type which I really like as it looks artsy and obscure which is the theme of my magazine.

Chosen Headline:

I have chosen the sans serif typeface as it is strong, simple and allows the customisation to be the detail of the masthead. I think it is dramatic and tall which I think fits with both the meaning of the word and the tone/theme of my obscure, artsy fashions.

Here is my chosen masthead customised to appear furry (as my main article will be based around the trend of brightly coloured fur coats)

No comments:

Post a Comment